George Holt & Andrew Gould
Tully Alley and Charles Street A Medieval Neighborhood Canal Houses 266 Ashley Avenue A New Town 1414 Sumner Avenue
Tully Alley and Charles Street
Tully Alley and Charles Street are two new alleys off St. Philip Street, in downtown Charleston. George has been gradually adding to them for over ten years. The land was four adjacent lots, and most of the original structures had collapsed. George decided to consolidate the land as two new streets, paved in old brick salvaged from the collapsed buildings. So far, he has built ten new houses here, and restored the adjacent old ones. The new neighborhood is remarkable not only for its beauty, but also for the enthusiastic residents, who conduct both business and pleasure in the street and on the porches, lending the neighborhood a distinctly European character.