George Holt & Andrew Gould
Tully Alley and Charles Street A Medieval Neighborhood Canal Houses 266 Ashley Avenue A New Town 1414 Sumner Avenue
Canal Houses
This plan, designed in 2004, represents a group of masonry houses along an existing canal. The proposal calls for widening the middle of the canal into a water plaza, and fronting it with a small piazza on one side and a park on the other, both accessible to the public. The existing parallel lot lines are abandoned, allowing the houses to have complex interlocked footprints. This arrangement gives the public space complete enclosure, and access through intriguing alleys and under archways. Public and private space are completely interwoven, as in a Medieval city. The four elevations represent the houses on the north side of the canal.